Every student of the Master in HPC has to do a master thesis as a part of the master program. This master thesis will be defended at the end of the master and its presentation and defense are a requirement to obtain the master's degree.
The realization of this master thesis is regulated by the following document (in Spanish).
What to do before the master thesis
As a previous step to the realization of the master thesis, the student has to select a topic and one or several directors/tutors. This can done following different paths:
- In January, there will be a special process in which a number of master topics will be offered to the students by the teachers of the master. The students will select those that are of their interests, and after that, there will be an official assignment of topics (+tutors/directors) to students.
- If a student has a special interest in a topic, he can contact directly to a tutor/director with her proposal. In that case, the student and the director/tutor has to present a preliminary project describing the work to be done by the student. This document has to follow the following template and it has to be sent by email to one of the master coordinators (Jorge González/Pablo Quesada) before the deadlines specified below.
- Preliminary project (in Spanish)
The master thesis
After the project is finished, the student has to present a document describing the process and results of the realization of the master thesis. This document has to follow the following format. The approximate length of the document has to be around 50 pages, although this length can be exceeded if necessary:
- Format of the master thesis documentation for UDC students
- Format of the master thesis documentation for USC students
Alternatively, in those cases that the Master Thesis will be submitted to a research journal or conference the students can directly present that manuscript in the same format that was submitted to the journal/conference. The student must also present a proof that the manuscript was already submitted to the journal/conference (at least the confirmation email).
How to submit the master thesis
For the presentation of the project, the students must follow the steps in the virtual secretary of the university where he is enrolled. Then, he has to send the following documents to one of the master coordinators:
- The pdf with the master thesis documentation
- Any source code or supplementary material that the student wants to handle as a result of her project
- The proof obtained from the virtual secretary that he has uploaded the master thesis.
Contact to Jorge González (in case of UDC) or Pablo Quesada (in case of USC) if you have doubts about the procedure of the virtual secretary.
- Period to apply to one of the topics proposed by the teachers of the master: January 2024
- Assignment of the students to the teachers' proposals: February 2024
- Advanced call (only UDC students with preliminary project approved before July 2023):
- Deadline for the deposit of the master thesis: 7 December 2023
- Defenses of the master thesis: 11-14 December 2023
- First call:
- Deadline to present the preliminary project: 15 December 2023
- Deadline for the deposit of the master thesis: 2 February 2024
- Defenses of the master thesis: 14-21 February 2024
- Second call:
- Deadline to present the preliminary project: 26 April 2024
- Deadline for the deposit of the master thesis: 19 June 2024
- Defenses of the master thesis: 1-9 July 2024
- Extraordinary call:
- Deadline to present the preliminary project: 14 June 2024
- Deadline for the deposit of the master thesis: 29 July 2029
- Defenses of the master thesis: 2-6 September 2024